Hazardous & Special Waste

What are Hazardous Wastes that I MUST NOT put in the trash?
Fluorescent tubes, lamps and the new compact fluorescent bulbs (CFLs), Button cell batteries, waste oil including oil filters, TVs, Computers, Monitors, Rechargeable batteries and cell phones, White goods/appliances, Tires, oil based paints, varnishes and stains, paint thinner and remover, Nickel Cadmium Batteries, Mercury-Added Products (thermostats, thermometers, manometers, barometers, check product label), Propane Cylinders, Medical Waste, Lead Acid Batteries (Car batteries, etc.)
When in doubt, please check with the attendant

What do I do With Hazardous Waste?
The Londonderry Solid Waste Group consisting of the towns of Landgrove, Londonderry, Peru, Weston and Windham, hosts two Household Hazardous Waste Collection Days per year, one in the spring and one in the fall. Information about dates and times will be available a few weeks in advance. Check with the attendant at the Transfer Station, at the Town Offices and in The Message for the Week. Small businesses that produce less than 220 lbs. of hazardous waste every 3 months but no acutely hazardous waste, may also participate. Registration forms will be mailed before each event.

What do I do with Household Hazardous Waste during non-collection times?  You can bring your Household Hazardous Waste to the Rutland’s  HHW Depot on Gleason Road in Rutland. Hours of operation: 7 AM – 3 PM Monday through Saturday. There will be a charge for disposal.

Hazardous Waste Collection Days -2024    

Saturday, June 1st and Saturday October 5th, 2024            9am – 1pm.  For Info click Hazardous Waste 2024

What do I do With Prescription Drugs?

The Manchester Police Department and the Winhall Police Department have partnered with The Collaborative to collect prescription drugs. When dropping off medications, community members are asked to place their expired or unused RX pills or patches in their original bottle or in a disposable bag. Personal information should be removed so that the drugs can be anonymously dropped in the RX drop box.
The Manchester Police Department is located at 6039 Main Street/Rt.7A, Manchester, VT. The Winhall Police Department is located at 107 Route 30, Bondville, VT. For other drop off locations please click here.

What to do with Batteries and Cell Phones?
(Most batteries can be recycled at the Transfer Station or the Londonderry Hardware Store.)

Battery Terminal Protection Guidleines(PDF)

Things NOT to flush down the toilet —

Official Website of the Town of Londonderry, VT